Dr. Ann-Louise S. Silver, M.D.
Dr.Ann-Louise S. Silver, M.D. is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University (B.A., M.D. and the State of Maryland-Johns Hopkins psychiatric residency program), and the adult program of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institute. She completed the family therapy training program of the Washington School of Psychiatry. She is a Clinical Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, and teaches at the Military Residency Training Program at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, the Washington Psychoanalytic Institute, and the Washington School of Psychiatry. She is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. She heads the Columbia Academy of Psychodynamics, and is in private practice in psychoanalysis and psychotherapy.
She is the past and founding president of the United States Chapter of the International Society for the Psychological treatments of the Schizophrenias and other psychoses, ISPS-US (1998-2008) (www.isps-us.org) .and is a past president of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis (1999-2000) (www.aapdp.org).
She has written many papers on the psychotherapy of schizophrenia and related subjects, and has edited or co-edited the following books most of which are still available:
- Editor, Psychoanalysis and Psychosis. (a tribute to Frieda Fromm-Reichmann) International Universities Press, 1989.
- Editor, with M. Cantor. Psychoanalysis and Severe Emotional Illness, Guilford Press, 1990.
- Editor, with Schwartz, H.J., Illness in the Analyst: Implications for the Treatment Relationship, International Universities Press, Madison, CT, 1990.
- Editor, with Yrjö O Alanen and Manuel González de Chávez Menéndez, Fifty Years of Humanistic Treatment of Psychosis: In Honour of the History of the International Society for the Psychological Treatments of the Schizophrenias and Other Psychoses, 1956-2006. Paradox, SL, 2006.
- Editor, with Yrjö O Alanen and Manuel González de Chávez Menéndez, The History of Psychological Treatments of Psychosis. Routledge, London, 2008.
- Editor, with Kantor, M.B. Psychoanalysis and Severe Emotional Illness. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. Vol. 18, No. 1, Spring 1990.
- Editor, with Palombo, S. R. Empathy and Intuition. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. Vol 21, No. 4, Winter 1993.
- Editor, with Larsen, T.K., The Schizophrenic Person and the Benefits of the Psychotherapies—Seeking a PORT in the Storm. Special Issue, The Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry. Vol 31, No. 1, Spring 2003
- Introduction, and Chapter 1, with P. Feuer, “Fromm-Reichmann’s contributions at staff conferences,” Psychoanalysis and Psychosis, International Universities Press, 1989, pp. 23-46.
- “Ferenczi’s early impact on Washington, D.C.” in P. Rudnytsky, A. Bókay, & P. Giampiere-Deutsch (eds.) Ferenczi’s Turn in Psychoanalysis. New York University Press, New York. 1996, pp. 89-104.
- “Sándor Ferenczi e Frieda Fromm-Reichmann” Chapter 8 in Part 5, Franco Borgogno (ed) La partecipazione affettiva dell’analista: Il contributo di Sándor Ferenczi al pensiero psicoanalitico contemporaneo. FrancoAngeli,Milano. pp. 352-362.
- “Ferenczi és a szakmai családfám.” (Ferenczi and my professional family tree.) in J. Mészáros (ed.) In Memoriam Ferenczi Sándor. Jószöveg këzikönyvek. , 2000, pp. 262-273.
- “Thorns in the Rose Garden: Failures at Chestnut Lodge.” in Failures in Psychoanalytic Treatment. eds. J. Reppen & M. Schulman, International Universities Press, Madison, CT, 2002, pp. 37-62.
- with B. Karon, PhD and B. Koehler, PhD “Psychotherapy of Schizophrenia: Its History and Development.” in: Read, J., Mosher, L., Bentall, R. (eds.) 2004 Models of Madness: Psychological , Social and Biological Approsches to Schizophrenia. London: Routledge, ISPS Series. Chapter 15, pp. 209-222.
- “Classic literary categories as a measure of progress in the psychotherapy of schizophrenia.” In: Johannessen, J.O., Martindale, B. V. and Cullberg, J. 2006, Evolving Psychosis: Different Stages, Different Treatments. Routledge, ISPS Series. Chapter15, pp. 255-269.
- “L’influenza di Ferenczi negli Stati Uniti.” In: Carlo Bonomi (ed) Sandor Ferenczi e la psicoanalisi contemporanea. Rome, Borla. pp. 36-47.
- Editor, with Yrjö O Alanen and Manuel González de Chávez Menéndez, Fifty Years of Humanistic Treatment of Psychosis: In Honour of the History of the International Society for the Psychological Treatments of the Schizophrenias and Other Psychoses, 1956-2006. Paradox, SL, 2006. Contributions:
Chapter 8: The VIIIth Symposium in New Haven, Conn., U.S.A., in October 1984, Ann-Louise S. Silver and Stanley Possick
Chapter 11: The XIth ISPS Symposium June 12-16, 1994 in Washington, DC, U.S.A. Stanley Possick and Ann-Louise S. Silver
Chapter 20: Establishment of Local ISPS activities: United States of America
On Stephen Fleck, 383-385; On Theodore Lidz, pp. 397-400; On Harold Searles, pp. 407-409; On John Strauss pp. 413-416.
Articles: (most of these articles are accessible on the web thanks to PEP; Psychoanalytic Electronic Publishing, and some are posted here, complete or partial).
- Silver, S.B. and Silver, A.-L. “Afferent arteriolar diameter changes during autoregulation in the dog kidney,” Investigative Urology 2:474-84, 1965.
- “Two poems about the work,” Contemporary Psychoanalysis 14:503-04, 1978.
- “Resuming the work with a life-threatening illness,” Contemporary Psychoanalysis 18:314-26, 1982.
- “Aspects of abrupt termination: Thoughts on losing my most chronic patient,” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis 14:27-46, 1986.
- Discussions of David Raft and Jeffrey Andresen’s “Transformations in self-understanding after near-death experiences,” Contemporary Psychoanalysis 22:346-56, 1986.
- Silver, A.-L., Silver, S.B. and Green, J. “Treatment of the violent patients in an inpatient setting,” in Violent Patients, vol. II, ed. L. Hertzberg. (unpublished).
- Guest editor, special issue of Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, Vol., 18, No. 1, Spring 1990. “Psychoanalysis and severe mental illness”. Book form: Eds. A.-L. Silver and M. Cantor. Psychoanalysis and Severe Emotional Illness, Guilford Press, 1990.
- Schwartz, H.J., Silver, A.-L. (eds.) “Resuming the work with a life-threatening illness” reprinted, with new Discussion. Illness In the Analyst: Implications for the Treatment Relationship, International Universities Press. 1990, pp. 3-5, and 151-176.
- “Introduction” Psychoanalysis and Psychosis. (a tribute to Frieda Fromm-Reichmann) ed. A.-L. Silver, Madison, CT: International Universities Press, 1989, pp. 1-12..
- with P. C. Feuer “Fromm-Reichmann’s contributions at staff conferences.” Psychoanalvsis and Psychosis. (a tribute to Frieda Fromm-Reichmann) ed. A.-L. Silver, Madison, CT: International Universities Press, 1989, pp. 23-45.
- (ed. & intro.) Fromm-Reichmann, F. “The assets of the mentally handicapped: The interplay of mental illness and creativity.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis : 18(1) 47-72.
- “Indications for Long-Term Hospitalization” A Lesson Plan in Directions in Psychiatry, Ed. F. Flach. Vol. 11, No. 21, September 23, 1991, pp. 1-8.
- “Treating the Hospitalized Borderline Patient: Reworking Trauma of Toddlerhood,” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis: 20: 114-129, 1992.
- “Intensive psychotherapy of psychosis in a decade of change,” The Psychiatric Hospital: 23: 49-54, 1992.
- “Discussion of Bent Rosenbaum’s Paper, ‘Semiotic aspects of the process of symbolization in schizophrenia.” In: A. Werart and J. Cullberg (eds) Psychotherapy of Schizophrenia: Facilitating and Obstructive Factors. Oslo. Scandinavian University Press. pp. 91-94.
- “The Chestnut Lodge Wednesday Case Conference: The One-to-One Laboratory in its Psychosocial Setting.” in Benedetti, G. & Furlan, P. (eds.) The Psychotherapy of Schizophrenia: Effective Clinical Approaches–Controversies, Critiques and Recommendations. Hogrefe & Huber Publishers. Seattle, WA, pp. 195-198, 1993.
- “Countertransference, Ferenczi and Washington, D.C.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis: 21: 637-654, 1993.
- Introduction and editing: F. Fromm-Reichmann (1935) “Female psychosexuality.” and “Jewish Food Rituals” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, 23: 1-32, 1995.
- “Women who lead.” The American Journal of Psychoanalysis, 56: 3-16, 1996.
- “William James and Gertrude Stein.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, 24: 321-339, 1996.
- “Frieda Fromm-Reichmann, Loneliness and Deafness.” Int. Forum Psychoanal. 5: 39-46, 1996.
- “Chestnut Lodge, Then and Now: Work with a Patient with Schizophrenia and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.” Contemporary Psychoanalysis, 33:227-249, 1997.
- “Discussion, ‘Psychotic developments in a sexually abused borderline patient’ by Paul Williams” Psan. Dialogues.8:507-512 1998.
- “Discussion: A Dream of a Bonobo Solution; on `As Far as Possible: Discovering our Limits and Finding Ourselves’ by Samoan Barish & Judith Vida” Am. J. Psan. 58: 99-106, 1998.
- “Frieda Fromm-Reichmann and Erich Fromm: Written in response to “Frieda Fromm-Reichmann—On Her Contribution to Psychoanalytic and Psychiatric Theory with a Note on Erich Fromm’s Estimate of Her Work in the U.S.A.” by K. Hoffmann, Int. Forum of Psychoanal. 8: 19-23, 1999.
- “Solitude et surdité: À propos de Frieda Fromm-Reichmann,” Surdités: Revue international – Les professionnels. Décembre 1999, Numéro 1. pp. 79-92.
- “L’importanza attuale di Frieda Fromm-Reichmann” Psickterapia e Sciencze Umane. 33(4) pp. 65-76.
- “The current relevance of Fromm-Reichmann’s works The 2000 Frieda Fromm-Reichmann Lecture.” Psychiatry. 63: 308-322, 2000.
- “Facing mortality while treating patients: A plea for a measure of authenticity.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. 29 (1): 49-62, 2001.
- “American psychoanalysts who influenced Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey into Night.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. 29 (2): 267-280, 2001.
- “Psychoanalysis and psychosis: Trends and developments.” Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy. 31(1), 21-30, 2001.
- “A personal response to Gail Hornstein’s To Redeem One Person Is to Redeem the World: The Life of Frieda Fromm-Reichmann. Psychiatry. 65 (1): 1-12.
- “Psychoanalysis and psychosis: Players and history in the United States.” Psychoanalysis and History. 4(1), 45-66, 2002.
- “Commentary on ‘Mortal gifts: A two-part essay on the therapist’s mortality’ by Ellen Pinsky.” Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis. 30 (2): 205-207.
- “Comment on Sergio Caruso’s article ‘On the conjunction of basic assumptions in the enlarged group.” International Forum of Psychoanalysis. 11(1), p.?, 2002.
- “Protiprenos, Ferenczi a Washington,D.C. Revue Psychoanalyticka Psychoterapie. !V. rocnik; leto 2002, cislo1. Casopis Ceske.
- “The psychotherapy of schizophrenia: Its place in the modern world.” 2003, J. Amer. Acad. Psychoanal. and Dynamic Psychiatry. 31 (2): 325-342.
- “In the footsteps of Arieti and Fromm-Reichmann: Psychodynamic treatments of psychosis in the current era. J. Amer. Acad. Psychoanal. and Dynamic Psychiatry. 2005. 33 (4) 689-704.
- “Teaching about psychodynamic work with severely ill patients.” J. Amer. Acad. Psychoanal. and Dynamic Psychiatry. 2006. 34(1) 197-214.
- “Introduction to ‘Communicating with the schizophrenic superego revisited: A new technique.’” J. Amer. Acad. Psychoanal. and Dynamic Psychiatry. 2007. 35(3) 477-481.
- “Treating dissociative and psychotic disorders psychodynamically” With Valerie Sinason, Ch. 17, pp. 239-254 In: Psychosis, Trauma and Dissociation: Emerging Perspectives on Severe Psychopathology.” Eds. A. Moskowitz, I. Schafer and M. Dorahy. Wiley-Blackwell, 2008.
- Beyond Medication. Eds. D. Garfield and D. Mackler. Foreword with B. Karon, pp. xi-xix; and with E. Faulconer, Chapter 2. “The initial engagement in the psychotherapy of psychosis, with and without an asylum.” pp. 18-31.